Would you race change if it would improve your dps?

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Power Auras Tutorial pt 1

This is going to be mostly copied from a post I originally made on our guild forums. It's from an older version of Power Auras Classic but the options interface is mostly the same for the examples I give. The Power Auras Wiki is a great source of information and export strings for Power Auras.

Anyway, here's the first part of the tutorial.






Since Power Auras is one of my favorite addons and I heard people were having some problems configuring it, I thought I'd write up a little guide illustrating some of the things you can do with it.

I'll start with one of the simpler uses - monitoring your buffs.

First open the config/edit window with the slash command "/powa".



There are two different types of effects.

Character effects, which are specific to the character you edit them on, and global effects, which apply to all the characters on your account.

What I want to do is remember to rebuff myself with Mark of the Wild when it drops, so I'm going to make it a character effect.

So you start by clicking the "New" button to create a new effect, and this is what you get:



Starting at the top, I decide to leave the "Glow" effect on. This makes your texture look kind of translucent and I think I'd like that for this effect.


 Next we want to work on the activation settings - determining the conditions under which the effect will appear. Since we're working on a buff indicator, we'll leave that as it is:


 I'm a visual person, so I want the effect to use the spell texture, so I select "Use own texture"


Note! - The texture will not show up until the spell is cast. In this case, you'll need to cast it, click it off and perhaps recast it before the texture is recorded. It took me quite a bit of fiddling around to figure that out. So there are two ways I deal with this - either I check this option last, after everything else is set, using the default texture to figure out size, positioning, etc. or I click it right away, close the config window, cast the spell, click it off and see if the effect appears.


Next I need to tell it what buff I'm looking for. I want this to work for either Mark of the Wild or Gift of the Wild, so I just put Wild in the name place (hit return when you're done) This means that sometimes it gets confused with Wild Growth or some other buffs, but most of the time it does what I want it to. You can put a partial name or a full name or use part of the spell description if you want.


I only want this to show up when the buff drops off, so I select "Invert". Otherwise it would show the whole time the buff was up and I don't need that.

Everything else you can leave at the default settings. Spend some time tweaking the size and xy coordinates until it looks the way you want it to look. This is what I ended up with:

Power Auras can be used for a lot of different things and I will come back to you and show you a few more things you can do with it; for example, set timers for your buffs/debuffs, create notifications when you reach a certain number of combo points, amount health, mana, rage or energy, tell you when an ability is ready to use, when your target has a specific buff or debuff on it, etc.

Let me know if there's something specific you're interested in doing with it and I'll see what I can do to explain how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment